Is LASIK Right for You?
Submitted by Atlanta Vision Cataract and Laser Center on November 5, 2017
LASIK has successfully improved the vision of millions of people, but it isn’t for everyone. Before you sign up for LASIK surgery, here are a few things to help you determine if LASIK is right for you:
- LASIK is surgery to a very delicate part of your eye, and cannot be reversed.
- You must be at least 18 years old to receive LASIK.
- LASIK is not for those who are pregnant or nursing.
- You shouldn’t be taking certain prescription drugs, like Accutane or oral prednisone.
- Your eyes must be healthy and your prescription stable.
- Your general health should be good. LASIK may not be recommended for patients with diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, glaucoma, herpes infections of the eye, cataracts, disorders of the cornea and retinal disease.
- As with any surgery, there are risks and possible complications. Potential problems include dryness, glare, halos, flap problems, vision changes and vision loss among others.
- It’s important that you have realistic expectations for the surgery.
- LASIK may not give you perfect vision. The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) reports that 9 out of 10 patients achieve somewhere between 20/20 and 20/40 vision, but 20/40 vision may not be sharp enough for certain work or leisure activities. Even 20/20 does not always mean perfect vision. Detailed, precise vision may be slightly diminished.
- Even with LASIK to correct your distance vision, you are likely to need reading glasses around middle-age. LASIK surgery cannot correct or prevent presbyopia, the age-related loss of focusing power for seeing near objects.
- The benefits of the LASIK procedure may diminish over time. A small percentage of LASIK patients in the U.S. require a second surgery, called an enhancement, to restore the desired vision correction.
To learn more about whether LASIK is right for you, contact Atlanta Vision Cataract and Laser Center at 404-448-2557 or atlantavisioncenter.com. During your LASIK consultation in Atlanta, Dr. O’Day will evaluate your candidacy for laser eye surgery. After a thorough discussion and a non-invasive eye exam, Dr. O’Day will help you determine if LASIK is right for you.
Answer a few questions in our free online LASIK Self-Evaluation to find out how much you can save on LASIK. Call us today for a free consultation.